Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 134 of Your Year to Wellness; Mother Earth

The Mother we all have in common
Love you Mom
       Celebrating Our Mother


Wellness is not just about the body; it is about the realignment of the spirit, mind and body. As we evolve as individuals, we are also evolving collectively.

A few days ago, I was talking with one of the city’s environmental supervisor’s. I told him that every week, my family packs up our recyclables to take them to the dump. Once there, we place them in separate bins for the recycling process. By physically going to the dump, we participate in the process of personally deposing our own waste products. Over the years, we have become even more conscious of what we use and throw away.

The supervisor told me that he and his family recently started recycling and was shocked by how much they had been callously throwing out. He said that they now recycle twice as much as they discard and he hopes that more people get involved.

Today, in The United States we celebrate Mother’s Day. Some are celebrating their mother and some are being celebrated. As a collective spirit I would like us all to take a moment to celebrate our Mother Earth.

We are all her children and she too needs and deserves the respect that we reserve for mothers.

My mother used to tell my siblings and me that we should leave a place better than we found it. My mother recycled practically everything. Her coffee grinds and egg shells were used to fertilize plants. Food scraps became compost and a bag was a book cover. The newspaper was used to wrap presents, then clean windows, then for making paper machete. All of our clothes were lovingly washed and worn for many, many years and when they finally had too many holes in them, they were used as stuffing for throw pillows.
My mother refused to use pesticides so whenever there were raccoons or other animals near the house, she would pour Cheyenne pepper around the area. We still laugh about how my mother trained the squirrels and raccoons to eat in one area.
I love my mother, I adore being a mother to my children and I am grateful to Mother Earth for housing, feeding, nourishing and caring for me and all of us.

Today, as we honor our mothers, don’t forget our Mother Earth. We really are one big family.

Be you, be well, be a good kid.
Bertice Berry, PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment